At each of our centers, our highly skilled nurses provide the best quality care. Their skills are only half the picture. Each nurse is a gentle and caring person, with genuine concern for each resident.
The following skilled nursing services are available at our centers:
- Onsite Medical Director coordinates and improves medical services
- Director of Nursing oversees all aspects of healthcare within each center
- Individualized resident care plan treatments
- IV therapy
- Dementia care
- Wound care
- Respite Stays
- Enteral feeding program
- Catheter care
- Colostomy Care
- Off-site dialysis
- Ileostomy Care
- Nutrition & hydration programs
- Medication management & education
- Diabetic management & education
- Restorative nursing
- Pain management
- Hospice program
- Bowel & bladder programs
- Model environment for nurse training
- In-house, on-going continued learning courses and CNA training programs
- Audiology Services
- On staff registered dietitian
- Laboratory testing and X-rays
- Transportation services
Our nurses work with the residents family to create a comfortable environment including simple routines and visual cues as a positive substitute for diminishing mental processes.
Our experienced nurses will provide help with all aspects of managing diabetes including:
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Insulin administration and tracking
- Exercise planning
- Menu planning, education and more.
Restorative Nursing Program
Our centers seek to maximize the quality of life for our long-term care population, who require a specialized restorative program.
Our therapy and nursing staff will develop individualized treatment plans for resident care in the areas of:
- Range of motion
- Activities of daily living
- Positioning and alignment
- Skin integrity and wound management
- Contracture management
- Bowel and bladder training
- Rehabilitative and social dining
- Strengthening and restraint reduction
- Weekly and monthly height and weight monitoring
Each of our centers provides dietary programs which are designed to meet the dietary and physician ordered needs of each resident in our care.
To ensure that each resident is receiving the proper nutritional needs, our centers offer:
- Meals to meet specific dietary and therapeutic needs, according to physician orders
- Oral supplemental, as prescribed by each physician
- Regular nutritional assessments from our registered dietitian
At each of our centers, our experienced rehabilitation teams are committed to providing outstanding results and excellent quality of care. Residents are empowered through individualized programs to reach goals of increased independence and ability. Resident families are also encouraged to participate in therapy sessions, caregiver education, and training.
Our physical therapy teams work toward specific goals of achieving the resident’s highest functional level of independence. Physical therapy focuses on identification and rehabilitation of individuals with physical impairment and pain, as well as future injury prevention. Following evaluation, our experienced physical therapists develop an individualized treatment program. The goal is to achieve safety in a variety of areas.
Areas of treatment focus may include:
- Increase strength and mobility in the body and lower extremities
- Increase motor control for a resident who has suffered a stroke
- Improve coordination, balance and the ability to walk following a fracture
- Improve overall strength conditioning, range of motion and endurance
- Pain management
- Teaching proper body mechanics to prevent injury
- Promoting safety awareness for the well being of the resident
Our professional occupational therapists use task-directed activities in the treatment of our residents whose functional abilities, daily activities and independence have been impaired by illness, injury or aging.
Occupational therapy assists our residents in adapting to their social and physical environment by mastering tasks essential for daily living. Our occupational therapists may work with residents who have debilitating arthritic conditions or those with difficulty bathing, dressing and other activities of daily living. They assist residents with impaired vision and/or hearing to function well in their environment.
Areas of treatment may include:
- Functional independence: eating, bathing, toileting, homemaking, cooking, etc.
- Maintenance of wellness: dressing and grooming
- Prevention of further disability: home assessments and modifications, adaptive equipment
- Increasing safety awareness
Our speech therapists provide a range of interventions to assess and help restore abilities in the areas of communication, swallowing and cognition. Treatment programs are designed to help residents affected by stroke, brain injury, dementia, and other neurological disorders. Our professionals also work with residents suffering from hearing impairment, respiratory illnesses, and complex medical conditions.
Areas of treatment focus may include:
- Improving speech and voice clarity
- Increasing comprehension and verbal expression
- Improving chewing and swallowing ability
- Maximizing cognitive language skills: memory, problem-solving, and abstract reasoning
- Resident and family/caregiver education and training for managing ongoing difficulties with communication, cognition, and swallowing
A positive and uplifting atmosphere can set the tone for a resident’s stay. North Shore Healthcare employs outgoing and friendly professional staff at each of our centers to create social programs and activities. They often specialize activities to match the capabilities and needs of each resident.
Each resident is given a calendar to keep them informed of upcoming events such as birthday parties, movies, musical programs, outings and other special events. Friends and family are always welcome to visit and attend our special events.
Specific center activities can include:
- Active resident and family councils and volunteer programs
- Musical performances
- Current events update
- Reading the newspaper
- Singing exercises
- Fitness activities
- Stretching exercises
- Religious meetings
- Field trips/outings
- Volunteer involvement
Our centers boast a social services team that assists both residents and their families during transitional periods. This team will also provide essential information, manage requests and concerns, help in care planning and manage discharge planning for each resident.
Each center can arrange professional services for:
- Dementia assessment
- Psychosocial and Psychiatric Evaluation
- Individual therapy
- Arrange transportation to appointments
- Accompanying resident to appointments upon request
- Power of Attorney